PIF Population Estimates Database
Welcome to the Partners in Flight Population Estimates Database, version 2.0
This web site is intended to:
- Provide users access to the estimates of landbird populations published in the North
American Landbird Conservation Plan (Rich
et al. 2004), which were based mainly on Breeding Bird Survey data from
- Allow users to view and download estimates for landbird populations at a variety
of geographic scales, and
- Provide transparent access to the methodologies, assumptions, data sources, and
species-specific correction factors used by Partners in Flight to create these estimates.
On this site we provide estimates for:
- Continental, global and national populations of all North American species,
- All Bird Conservation Regions (BCRs) in the U.S. and Canada,
- Individual states and provinces, and
- Portions of Bird Conservation Regions within states and provinces.
Scores for any scale, species or region of interest can be viewed online or downloaded as Excel files.
Downloadable files include all the pertinent information behind these estimates for all species, including
data sources, correction factors, and data-quality flags, in addition to a population estimate calculator
where users can manipulate the parameters used in generating the estimates to see how changes
in assumptions impact the population estimates. Note that for a small number of landbirds whose
continental estimates were not based on Breeding Bird Survey data, estimates are provided only at the
continental scale. To begin querying the database, click here.
The PIF Population Estimates Database has been updated! To learn about the changes in version 2.0,
and about the process used to generate the original estimates, click here.
Citing the database:
To cite the database please use the format below, updating the date on which you accessed the data.
Partners in Flight Science Committee 2013. Population Estimates Database, version 2013. Available at http://rmbo.org/pifpopestimates. Accessed on <date>.
Support the PIF Population Estimates Database!
This database is maintained through voluntary contributions from numerous organizations and agencies. Please consider supporting future updates to the database by making a contribution to Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory.